Monday, July 16, 2007

BEING RIGHT DEMANDS PROOF?

I wonder how many discussions we involve ourselves in during which we seek to PROVE ourselves right instead of seeking to discover what IS right? Do we get involved in those discussions just to hear ourselves speak? Do we get involved just to prove our superior debating skills? Do we get involved to merely assert that the others asking the questions are idiots BECAUSE they are asking such questions? While this post is certainly applicable to blogdom, it is even more appropriate for me, the host.

Does being right mean I have to prove I am right? Can I be right without proof? Even if I could produce proof but instead remain silent, can I still be right? The answers in order are: NO, YES, YES. That being the case, why then do I have to PROVE I am right? Why do I feel this NEED to show that I know what I am talking about? Why do I yield to the desire to PROVE that things are the way they are?

A one word answer would be, PRIDE. We want to be looked at. We want to be noticed. We want to be back-slapped. We want to be praised. We want accolades. We want to be smarter than the other. We want to be more powerful than the other. We want to be seen as superior. Why can I not rest in the assurance of knowing I am right without having to prove to others AND myself that I am right? Is this EVEN POSSIBLE?

Luke 23:8-10 And when Herod saw Jesus, he was exceeding glad: for he was desirous to see him of a long season, because he had heard many things of him; and he hoped to have seen some miracle done by him. Then he questioned with him in many words; but he answered him nothing.

You do not have to prove yourself right, in order to be right!

No comments: