Wednesday, January 2, 2008

HUCAKBEE ON MEET THE PRESS

If you did not get the opportunity to watch Sunday's show with Tim Russert(Most SB preachers/church goers are at church I think), you can still watch the interview with Huckabee HERE. That link also gives you the opportunity to read the entire transcript which I have done. I prefer the transcript because then I can pause and ponder the statements that are made without missing what comes next. Here is my take on one issue from that interview.

ORDAINED MINISTER OR POLITICIAN?

I am not sure what time during the interview this was but it is on page 6 of the transcript. Huckabee was asked about a statement that was penned in his 1998 book, "Kids Who Kill". In that statement, homosexuality was listed as an "institutionally supported aberration" along with pedophilia, sadomasochism and necrophilia. Huckabee, when pressed by Russert, demonstrated what it truly means to be a politician. Rather than AFFIRMING or even denying his previous statement from his book, Huckabee AVOIDS addressing the quote. Can we expect more of the same from Huckabee if he were elected to the White House? Strangely, Huckabee expects that BECAUSE he is a "Southern Baptist Evangelical" that he will automatically secure the support of other "Southern Baptist Evangelicals". HERE, in response to the action of Land to support Thompson, Huckabee said, "They make 'electability' their criterion." Let me point out the obvious. Huckabee, I contend, must have sensed that affirming the quote from his book on homosexuality would affect HIS OWN ELECTABILITY and so he avoided, if not abandoned, his belief that homosexuality is an "institutionally supported aberration". Huckabee appears to have abandoned his ordination at that moment for electability, or more commonly called, politically expedient behavior. HERE, Huckabee, in an appeal for "Southern Baptist Evangelical" votes also stated, "But I am a true soldier for the cause. If my own abandon me on the battlefield, it will have a chilling effect."

An ordained minister abandoning his beliefs and morals for electability have a chilling effect on me.


No comments: